Saturday 21 July 2007

Little Egberts

Spent a few hours today messing around the local pits. first stop was Octagon Fm, where I immediately found four adult Little Egrets. The pool here looks excellent for a passage wader or two this autumn, but all I got was a Common Sand, a Ringo, and a Green Sand. In the spring I found a superb sum plum Curlew Sand on here (see here), so my hopes for the next couple of months are high.

4 Little Egrets at Octagon farm

Next stop was the otherside of the bypass at Meadow Lane. I was surprised by the shape of the pit here. The spring produced virtually nothing on it, apart from the odd Dunlin. Now it looks much better with plenty of water still present (surprise, surprise!) and a few birds too. Two juv Little Egrets were the pick of the bunch, but there were plenty of Black-headed Gulls roosting too.

Juv Little Egret at Meadow Lane

I moved in to the brick pits after Meadow Lane and Coronation ClP. It's aways good for loafing gulls and today was no different. Only about 50 Lesser Black-backs but with them were eight Yellow-legged Gulls.

I finished off with a short look at Rookery South. Only a few birds in here today, but as I was scanning for Hobbies and stuff over the pit I picked up a Snipe flying over. Not a bad day.

Now, writing this back at home in Broom it's just started to pour down. I was going to pop down the pits, but I think I'll wait a while now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails